Acharya Chanakya is known as one of the greatest Strategists, Philosophers, Economists and Teachers that India witnessed. With the help of his advice, Mauryan Empire, under the rule of Chandragupta Maurya made a lot of progress. Lessons of Chanakya and teachings of Chanakya are even taught as an important part of Management Studies which is also referred as Chanakya Niti.
Here are some of the life lessons that he gave:
1. Education is the best friend. An educated person is respected everywhere. Education beats the beauty and the youth.
2. Learn from the mistakes of others, you can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
3. Never share your secrets with anybody. It will destroy you.
4. Before you start some work, always ask yourself three questions - Why am I doing it, what the results might be and will I be successful. Only when you think deeply and find satisfactory answers to these questions, go ahead.
5. The fragrance of flowers spread only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of the person spreads in all directions.
6. A man is great by his activities only, birth has nothing to do with it.
7. Humbleness is at the root of self-control.
8. God is not present in idols. Your feelings are your God and your soul is your temple.
9. A debt is like an enemy. As one should destroy his enemy without any trace, a debt should be paid till the penny.
10. Learning is a friend on a journey, a wife in the house, medicine in sickness, and religious merit is the only friend after death.
11. He who is overly attached to his family members experiences fear and sorrow for the root of all grief is the attachment. Thus one should discard attachment as much as possible to be happy.
12. Actual knowledge is not confined in books and possessions. If it does, people can never use both of them when practically they need to use those.